Thane City & Thane Municipal Corporation - Present and Future.
Once historically Significant the city of Thane forms an important urban agglomeration of Maharashtra state with accelerated industrial development and buzzing commercial activity.
Earlier Thane City was known as "Shri Sthanak". It was a kingdom of king Shilahars' during 13th to 19th Century. Till independence it was ruled by Marathas, Portugese, Muslims & Britishers.
I) Thane Nagarpalika was established on 10th March, 1863. Since then it has carried out development works in various fields in the Pre-freedom & Post freedom era. The first train service to Thane started on 16th April, 1853 between Boribunder (CST) & Thane. This speaks for the historical importance of Thane in the development of the region.
II) The Municipal Corporation of Thane came in to existence on 1st October 1982. This gave a new expanded and extended platform for development of the urban infrastructure. The T.M.C. has an annual budget of Rs. 455 crores and major share of the Budget goes for development of the city. The population of Thane is approximately 13 Lakh and it is expected to increase to 50 lakhs in next 25 years.
III) Since 1982 TMC has carried out multifarious & various development activities but it's true, incessant & overall development leading to a total transformation started 5 years back, with the Integrated Road Development project. The IRDP in itself gave measure thrust to other development activities.
The revenue increased by almost 15%. This growth is expected to continue till full utilization of developable vacant land available in the corporation area (over 1300 hectors).
IV) Some of the Landmark Developments / Salient features
1) Received "Clean City" Award from HUDCO India for 1999-2000.
2) Widened 133 city roads under the IRDP.
3) For the first time in India used "Bio-remediation" process for cleaning two main lakes transforming them from dumping pools to scenic & beautiful picnic spots.
4) Beautification of junctions by providing fountains, channelizers, green chowks, illuminations etc.
5) Additional 100 MLD water supply scheme to augment water supply for projected population upto 2011 & beyond.
6) City's health solid waste management department ensures cleanliness on roads & gutters & at the public places etc.
7) Sanitation & Public Hygiene is best taken care of. More than 10,000 seats Public toilet of Sulabh type have been constructed and are in use.
8) TMC has independent Pollution Control Department to check air & water quality through its monitoring stations. The pollution control department helps in ensuring safe and potable water to almost 99% of the population in city.
9) Wel come gates, Auditorium, swimming pools, stadium, open grounds, gardens, highmast lighting are some of the other areas where the T.M.C. has created landmarks.
10) Citizen Facilitation Centre is recently started to promptly issue Certificates and Licenses to the Citizens. A computer aided grievance redressal mechanism is also being made functional.
11) Schools, Markets & Hospitals : Beside the corporation run 56 pre-primary, 130 primary and 7 Secondary schools, which are run by corporation and 1 special school for mentally retarded children, there are 200 private and aided educational institutions of repute. There is 500 bedded Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Hospital with Rajiv Gandhi Medical College at Thane, 8 other Hospitals and 20 Health centres of T.M.C., besides a number of private & charitable clinics and Hospitals. T.M.C. is adding 10 more super speciality markets to its existing major markets.
12) Best Bus Services : For convenient & easy transport Thane Municipal Corporation started its own Transport service in the year 1989. The TMT has a fleet of 265 buses plying on 38 main routes ferrying approximately 2.5 lakhs commuters daily.
13) TMC is maintaining and creating green cover. More than 3 lakhs trees have been planted with a survival rate of 90%.
14) TMC has proposed upgradation of old scheme & New sewerage scheme for fast developing areas. Low cost sanitation scheme for merged rural areas is also in progress